In terms of precision, the variety of what you can cook, and convenience, nothing beats owning gas grills in Rocky Mount, NC. At the same time, it’s easy to miss the smoky taste that smoking your dishes on the grill that you can create. If you want that smoky feel, you don’t have to use a charcoal grill— all you need is a smoke box. Here’s how to smoke on your propane gas grill with a smokebox step by step.
Types of Wood Chips
Before you get to smoking, it’s important to know what kind of wood is perfect for what you’re cooking. With that in mind, here they are, broken down:
- Oak– This is medium and good for hot and slow gas grilling sessions. It’s typically paired with beef and lamb.
- Hickory– Has a sweet and strong taste, similar to bacon. It’s best paired pork, beef, and lamb.
- Maple– It’s sweet and light, perfect for hot and fast dishes. This is often paired with beef, lamb, and chicken.
- Pecan– Fruity and Sweet, it’s best for slow and cool sessions. Pair it with pork and beef.
- Mesquite– Has a very strong taste that’s great for beef and lamb.
- Cherry– Like the name, is light, fruity and sweet. Cook chicken, ham, and salmon hot and slow for the best effect.
- Apple– This is light, fruity, and sweet and works best for pork and chicken.
How to Smoke On Gas Grills
Once you’ve chosen the wood you want to go with, follow these simple steps:
- Soak the wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes
- Before placing the wood chips, drain the excess water. Then place the chips in the smoke box.
- Close the smoker box and grill lid and wait for it to begin smoking
- Once the grill is ready, adjust the grill lid to low-medium heat and set meat over the unlit burners. Then close the lid.
Want to Give it a Try?
For much fuller tutorials about smoking meats or anything else, we recommend that you check out Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke, which you may have seen on PBS. It’s a great starter guide to get you started. For all of your gas grill needs in Rocky Mount, NC, we have the propane gas, grills, and expertise you need to bring smoke into your life. Contact us today to get started— your taste buds will thank you.