Daughtridge Gas & Oil is a premier provider of petroleum and propane products. We are based in Rocky Mount, NC, and we proudly serve Eastern NC and Southeastern VA, where we offer quality propane products at an affordable price.
If you’re thinking about adding a fireplace to your home, there’s one important decision that you need to make first: do you want a gas or a wood fireplace? Each option comes with its own pros and cons.
Here are some gas fireplace pros:
- Easier to start than wood fires
- Don’t have to keep fire going/maintained
- Cleaner than wood fireplaces (no embers, sparks, wood pieces)
- Safer than natural wood because they won’t send off sparks and you don’t have to worry about a log accidentally rolling away
- Considered a cleaner, more eco-friendly choice than burning natural wood because they emit fewer air pollutants
- More cost-efficient than natural wood for several reasons:
- They require less chimney cleaning.
- Gas logs last for many years and don’t need to be constantly replaced like natural wood does
- Gas logs will help you to cut costs on your energy bill during those cold winter nights
Here are some gas fireplace cons:
- Doesn’t give you the natural crackle and smell of a wood fireplace
- Usually gives off a smaller flame than a wood fireplace
- Typically more difficult to clean than wood fireplaces
Here are some wood fireplace pros:
- Provides a comfy ambience
- You can choose which type of wood you want to burn
- Cheaper to build/install
Here are some wood fireplace cons:
- You have to chop (or buy) wood and then store it
- Leads to soot buildup and leaves behind ashes and embers
- Much of the heat created by fire quickly escapes through chimney
At Daughtridge Energy, we want you to be cozy, but we also want you to be safe. So, here are some fireplace safety tips from HGTV:
- Never use your fireplace for more than five hours at a time.
- If you have children or pets in the home, make sure that they are always supervised when the fireplace is in use, and don’t allow them to get too close to the fire.
- Always turn off your fireplace when you are leaving the home or going to bed.
- Have professionals come regularly to check and maintain your fireplace.
- Clean your fireplace regularly to help keep it working properly.
If you’re ready for a gas fireplace in your home, we can help you with all of your propane needs. Just give us a call at Daughtridge Energy in Rocky Mount, NC.